Nutrition and Hydration
This course is intended for CNA’s to better understand the proper nutrition and hydration required for adults and the importance of healthy eating. This course will discuss the food pyramid recommendations for servings, portions and appropriate nutrition required in a day for an adult. Nutrition considerations will be addressed for patients who are ill. This course will also discuss the required amounts of hydration needed, signs that someone may need more hydration and situations in which more hydration may be required. CNA’s will need to be able to be aware of the appropriate nutrition and hydration not only for patients, but for their own personal knowledge to be able to live with the best health possible to continue a successful employment.
After successfully completing the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the nutrition required for an average adult and benefits of taking in good nutrition.
- Understand the hydration recommendations for an adult and importance.
- Understand the food pyramid recommendations for portions, food groups, and calories.
- Understand potential issues that can occur when someone does not get proper nutrition and what nutrition considerations an adult should take for illness.
Course Format and Teaching Method
- The course is led by an instructor in a classroom setting. Instructor will lead course with lecture content and discussion-based questions.
- A quiz will be administered with a required 75% pass score to achieve completion for the course.
Course Completion Certificate
NAC CE Credits: 4.0
- A lecture manual with the powerpoint slides will be passed out to each student at no additional charge.