Phlebotomy Training Program Overview
Please call 510.452.1100, ext 0 to be added to waiting list.
Project Heartbeat’s Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Program trains students in the workings of the hospital laboratory, how to interact with patients, and acquire and process blood samples. The training program includes a minimum of 70 hours of didactic instruction and skills laboratory and 40 hours (up to 80 hours max) of supervised externship experience.
Our graduates will receive a Certificate of Course Completion and be eligible to test for certification by the National Center for Competency testing (NCCT).
Students who wish to work as a Phlebotomist in the State of California will need to pay for and pass the NCCT certification examination, and apply for licensure by the California Department of Public Health. Fees incurred by immunization, health exams, uniforms, CDPH State of California Certification, and basic class supplies are the sole responsibility of the student
The Basic and Advance course will include the following objectives:
- Basic venous anatomy, anatomy and physiology, the circulatory system, and video observation of arterial punctures.
- Introduction and demonstration of the following: evacuated collection system, syringe, butterfly, and capillary punctures.
- Introduction to the Safety Needle Act mandated by OSHA.
- Contemporary sterilization procedures and protocol.
- Instruction in blood borne pathogen control.
- Instruction is derived from the textbook, Phlebotomy Essentials (6th Edition) – McCall/Tankersley, as well as handout materials,
lecture, and state of the art audio visual aids.
- Health care settings, Medical Law and Ethics, Preanalytical Errors, Medical
Terminology, Specimen handling and processing.
The Phlebotomy course will cover the basic and didactic advance materials needed to prepare students for the National Phlebotomy certification exam.
PHLEBOTOMY PROGRAM CALENDAR
Project Heartbeat provides a complete comprehensive 70 hour course of instruction. Our qualified staff includes the following: Registered Nurses and Licensed Phlebotomists (CPT 1) with years of instructing and hands on experience in the field of phlebotomy. Students learn at their own pace, with step by step instruction.
Through a comprehensive course schedule, Project Heartbeat’s Phlebotomy Training Program gets you prepared for state and national licensure in less time. Mastery of course topics and psychomotor skills can be completed in 15 days. In total, 5 consecutive weeks will provide 80 hours of didactic and skills training (includes testing time). In addition, a 40-hour clinical lab externship will total of 120 hours of comprehensive training.
January 7 Full Call for wait list
March 4 Open
Summer dates to be determined. Please call 510.452.1100, ext 0 to be placed on the interest list and receive periodic updates
PHLEBOTOMY TRAINING PROGRAM TUITION AND FEES
$100 Application/Registration Fee (non Refundable)
$100.00 Liability Insurance
$260.00 Course Material (textbook $130, uniform scrubs and school patch $80, lab supplies $50) (non refundable, non returnable)
$2800 TOTAL CHARGES PAID TO PROJECT HEARTBEAT
Estimated Additional fees:
$124 Live Scan and Drug Screen Fees
$135 NCCT Certification exam fee
$100 CDPH licensure application fee
$459 TOTAL ADDITIONAL FEES
$3259 ESTIMATED TOTAL FOR ENTIRE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM
$2800 TOTAL CHARGES THE STUDENT IS OBLIGATED TO PAY UPON ENROLLMENT
For all SEIU-UHW Ed Fund Members, please contact our office at 510.452.1100, ext 0 for details regarding full tuition reimbursement through the AYC Program (Advance Your Career)
Prerequisites are DUE BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- Applicant must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Applicant must possess a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS card prior to the first day of class
- Current California Driver’s license
- Current Immunization Records for:
- TB- Tuberculosis within 1 year
- Tetanus within 10 years
- MMR- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (childhood record OK)
- Varicella Immunity
- Hepatitis B- At least shot #1 in series
- Specific prerequisites may apply depending on the program selected
- Tuition and fees –
Tuition tables for specific courses appear with the course descriptions later in this catalog. Tuition costs include: textbook and ebook, uniform shirts, and equipment/ diagnostic tools (I.E. stethoscope, penlight, eye protection, safety-shears). Students are also responsible for a background check, live scan, health insurance and additional uniform items. The fees in the tables in this catalog are effective Jan 1, 2017.
BPPE Private Post-Secondary
CPDH Lab Field Services
CALL 510.452.1100 OR EMAIL FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION