Sleep Disturbances and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
CNA’s in a long term care facility or a sub-acute facility will learn the importance and value of sleep in patients of the older adult population and what common sleep disturbances can affect this population. Sleep disturbances can vary and be a safety risk for those not informed and aware. Sleep has invaluable benefits for the body and the more it can be valued and enhanced for our patients, the better quality of life they can achieve. Along with sleep deprivation, chronic fatigue can affect individuals and leave them at risk for loneliness and isolation. Identifying patients with a sleep disorder and/or chronic fatigue syndrome will allow a higher level of care and a greater understanding of what these patients suffer from.
After successfully completing the course, students should be able to:
- Discuss and identify whether you are at risk for sleep disorders due to sleepiness.
- Discuss normal sleep for all ages.
- Discuss and identify who is at risk for sleep deprivation.
- Discuss why sleep is important and the benefits it provides to the body.
- Discuss what is happening in the body during sleep.
- Discuss sleep disturbances that can occur and understand the differences.
- Discuss chronic fatigue and understand what a person is experiencing.
- Review CDC Statistics
- Pathophysiology of appropriate sleep
- Recommended sleep intervals for various age groups
- Review of Sleep Disturbances
- Recommendations for proper sleep
- Review Pathophysiology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Course Format and Teaching Method
- The course is led by an instructor in a classroom setting. Instructors will lecture content and lead discussion among students. Instructor will use a survey as well to aid in identifying issues with sleep in class of students.
- A written exam will be conducted in which the student will be required to achieve a 75% or higher to pass.
- Course duration: 4 hours
Course Completion Certificate
NAC CE Credits: 4.0
- A lecture manual with the powerpoint slides and survey activity sheet will be passed out to each student at no additional charge.