Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Renewal Course Overview
The PALS Recertification Course is designed to provide healthcare providers a refresher on their ability to respond to emergencies for infants and children. Providers will enhance their skills in the treatment of the child victim of a cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergencies. PALS is based on simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active, hands-on participation through individual and team learning stations.
- Must have a current/non-expired PALS card otherwise you will not be admitted into class.
What to do BEFORE class:
Every student is required to take the Precourse Self Assessment Evaluation and review the 2020 PALS Provider Manual before attending class.
- Go to https://elearning.heart.org/
- Search code 1485 on top right search box and choose PALS Precourse Self-Assessment.
- Re-take this Precourse Self Assessment Evaluation until you receive an 70%
- Print and bring your score to class.
PALS Renewal Course Content
- Key changes in PALS from the new 2020 AHA
- 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
- 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
- Management of respiratory emergencies
- Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
- Vascular access
- Resuscitation team concept
- Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
- Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
- Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills and simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active participation
- Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
- Co-branded with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American Heart Association PALS Provider Course Completion Card, valid for two years
- PALS Renewal: up to 6 CE units
2020 PALS Provider Manual
You are required to have the current textbook for this course. If you already own one or have access to one before, during, and after the class, you do not need to purchase one here.