|Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) – Initial Certification|
|Date/Time:||Sat 10/14/2017 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
This class also meets on:
|Location:||San Francisco State University, School of Nursing, Burke Hall, 3rd fl|
|Notes:||Private Course for SFSU School of Nursing Students. Contact NSNA president, Emma Covington, for discount promo code|
The PALS Course is designed to provide healthcare providers the ability to respond to emergencies for infants and children. Providers will enhance their skills in the treatment of the child victim of a cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergencies. PALS is based on simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active, hands-on participation through individual and team learning stations.
What to do BEFORE class:
Every student is required to take the Precourse Self Assessment Evaluation and review the 2015 PALS Provider Manual before attending class.
1. Visit heart.org/eccstudent
2. Enter manual code: “pals15” to begin
3. Re-take this Precourse Self Assessment Evaluation until you receive an 84%
- High-quality Child CPR AED and Infant CPR
- Recognition of patients who do and do not require immediate intervention
- Recognition of cardiopulmonary arrest early and application of CPR within 10 seconds
- Apply team dynamics
- Differentiation between respiratory distress and failure
- Early interventions for respiratory distress and failure
- Differentiation between compensated and decompensated (hypotensive) shock
- Early interventions for the treatment of shock
- Differentiation between unstable and stable patients with arrhythmias
- Clinical characteristics of instability in patients with arrhythmias
- Post–cardiac arrest management
PALS Initial Course: 14 hours over 2 days, plus additional time for breaks and lunch.
- Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills and simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active participation
- Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
- Co-branded with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
American Heart Association PALS Provider Course Completion Card, valid for two years.
PALS Initial: 14 CEU credits
2015 PALS Provider Manual